Our aim at Great Missenden Primary School is to develop an enthusiastic and positive attitude to other languages and language learning. It also important to us to celebrate all languages spoken in our school, encourage a life-long love of language learning among our pupils in order to enhance their understanding of the world and their future economic well-being.
- KS 1 study some languages through songs, stories and dance
- Year 3 study German during the Autumn Term and then switch to French for the Spring and Summer terms
- Years 4, 5 and 6 study French for one hour per week delivered by a specialist Languages teacher
- Lessons are closely linked the curriculum which enhances the overall teaching and learning experience.
- The skills acquired in language lessons during Key Stages 1 and 2 can be transferred and will prepare students for a variety of languages they are likely to encounter at secondary level.
Pupils are taught to:
- listen attentively to spoken French and show understanding by joining in and responding
- explore the patterns and sounds of language through songs and rhymes and link the spelling, sound and meaning of words
- engage in conversations; ask and answer questions; express opinions and respond to those of others; seek clarification and help
- speak in sentences, using familiar vocabulary, phrases and basic language structures
- develop accurate pronunciation and intonation so that others understand when they are reading aloud or using familiar words and phrases
- present ideas and information orally to a range of audiences
- read carefully and show understanding of words, phrases and simple writing
- appreciate stories, songs, poems and rhymes in the language
- broaden their vocabulary and develop their ability to understand new words that are introduced into familiar written material, including through using a dictionary
- write phrases from memory, and adapt these to create new sentences, to express ideas clearly
- describe people, places, things and actions orally and in Year 6, develop their writing skills
- understand basic French grammar including: feminine, masculine and neuter forms and the conjugation of high-frequency verbs; key features and patterns of the language; how to apply these, for instance, to build sentences; and how these differ from or are similar to English
Happy St. Nikolaus Tag
Today we had a special visit from St. Nik and Krampus himself. The children in Year 3 were left a bag of treats (well, all those that had been good).
St. Nikolaus has also been busy this weekend visiting families from our school. Late Saturday 5th December, children left their shoes out and woke up on Sunday morning to a wonderful surprise.
European Day of Languages Competition 2020
(open to all students that attend Great Missenden Primary School)
This year, to celebrate the European Day of Languages we ran 3 competitions:
1. Language Stones
Pupils were invited to use their creative skills and paint/draw a design of their choice on a stone. The theme was languages so designs could range from European Flags, a picture of a favourite animal with the word in the foreign language underneath, emotions, favourite words, or phrases in that language. Everyone who entered the competition will receive a certificate and the top 3 entries (named below) will also receive a prize.
The entries were vary varied and of a high standard. The stones will be placed in a rockery in one of the school courtyards for all to enjoy.
1st: Hetty L in 3R
2nd: Luca in 3S
3rd: Sophia in 3S
2. The EDL 2020 Bake off
With over 20 entries from most year groups, this years bake off was a huge success. It was not an easy decision for Mr. Magee to choose winners as all of the entries were unique and incredible. Everyone who entered the competition will receive a certificate and the top 6 (named below) will also receive a prize.
Joint 1st: Edward D in 3S and Cara/Miranda in 5A
Joint 2nd: Erin in 3S and Mirabel in 3S
Joint 3rd: Theo in 3R and Ruby in 3R
3.The EDL poster competition
The poster competition entries this year were exceptionally high. All entries will receive
a certificate and the top 3 (named below) will also receive a prize.
Your posters will be on display around the school.
1st: Bethan K in 4R
2nd: Sarah K in 3S
3rd: Eliana L. in 3R
EDL 2020 Poster entries
Do you speak another language (confidently) ? Do you have family from another country?
If so, I would like to invite you to do a 10-minute presentation to your class during one of the Languages lessons during the next 2 weeks. We want to celebrate and promote the rich linguistic diversity at our school and encourage lifelong language learning . I am really looking forward to being a student and learning from you all.
All those who participate will receive a certificate. If you have any questions, please contact Madame Hemsworth at: email@example.com