Welcome to Year 6!
Miss Cartwright (6C), Mr Sperring (6S) and Mr Kemp (6K)
What a fun year Year 6 is. It is very busy and action packed but also very rewarding. We have exciting topics, trips and lessons plans. We continue to be independent learners and use our growth mindset every day to learn from mistakes, this is particularly important in Year 6. We set an example to the rest of the school and have increased responsibilities. We look forward to seeing what the year has to offer and we want the children to have the best year before they transition to up secondary school.
Topics That We Are Covering
Autumn Term- Are we all treated equally? Stand up for what's right.
History focus: Remembrance, WW1 and Suffragettes
Spring Term- Do we have the right values?
Summer Term- How do experiences shape who we are?
Important Information and Key Dates
- School starts on 4th September- we are looking forward to seeing you all and hope you had a great Summer.
- Tuesday 10th September Year 6 practice secondary transfer test.
- Thursday 12th September Year 6 secondary transfer tests.
- Wednesday 18th September is the house captain elections.
- Thursday 19th September is Year 6's first swimming session at Amersham pool- please pay via Parent Pay and email in to the year 6 email address if you wish your child to wear goggles.
- Week commencing 23rd September clubs start.
- On Friday 18th October the 11+ results come out.
- On Friday 25th October we break up for half term.
- We return to school on Tuesday 5th November.
- Week commencing Monday 4th November Year 6 will be celebrating Remembrance week.
- On Tuesday 5th November Quantum Theatre Company are coming in to deliver a show to Year 6 children called 'Your Country Needs You'. Letter and more information to follow.
- Parents evening is on Tuesday 5th November (5:00-7:30) and Wednesday 6th November (3:30-6:00). Information to follow about booking appointments.
- A visitor from the British Legion is coming in to do a session with Year 6 on Wednesday 6th November and Friday 8th November.
- Year 6's will be taking part in a Remembrance service at the church during this week.
- 6S class assembly is on Monday 11th November- time to be confirmed. The class assembly is all about WW1 and Remembrance.
- On Wednesday 27th November Year 6s will be going on a trip to the RAF Museum in London- letter and more information to follow on this.
- Year 6 Enterprise weeks will be week commencing 2nd December and 9th December. The market will be on Thursday 12th December from 1:00, parents welcome to come and see the children's hard work.
- We break up for Christmas on Wednesday 18th December at 2:15. Have a fantastic Christmas break.
- We return to school on Tuesday 7th January.
In Year 6, we would like the children to be reading everyday for minimum of 10 minutes. They are required to record at least 5 of their reading sessions in their reading record a week (this must cover 5 separate dates).
Across the school, but particularly in Year 6, there is a comprehension focus on children's reading. On occasion, please read with your children and question them on what they have read and understood about their book.
Reading records will be collected and checked each week on Mondays.